Search all of my sites with Google

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Alternate drivetrain thoughts, Mark Ia

In Alternate drivetrain thoughts, Mark I I discussed some rear-wheel-motor ideas.

It looks like my current best drive method is still the front-fork-mounted rear-frame section, as described in First Design.

However, the rear-mounted unit is looking easier to implement as a first attempt, so I'm also pursuing that by taking apart a rear wheel to find a reliable but easy way to mount one of the middling sprockets onto the *left* side of the wheel, for test purposes. Then I can mount the motor above the baskets, and run the chain between the baskets to that sprocket. I won't have any gearshifting available for this first attempt, but it will be a working test of the motor itself.

I do still have to get the socket mounted to the motor drive shaft (formerly pedal shaft), like this:

That still requires either welding it on (not good) or drill-and-tap (best). It also requires for the rear-mounted test that I cut the pedal-bearing cylinder from the frame, entirely or just partly, so I don't have that whole frame mess to deal with mounting to the rear, just the parts I need. Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alternate suggestions or improvements to anything that's been posted is very welcome, and extreme detail is preferred to brevity.

Keep in mind that unless you leave an email address in your comment, I haven't any way to reply to you except to reply to your comment here. That means if you want a reply, you'll have to come back to *this* blog entry and it's comments to see my reply to you, unless you leave some method of contact within your comment.