Search all of my sites with Google

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Suspension And Motor "Modules" by Gary Payton

This looks like an interesting idea I might be able to adapt to a tadpole trike for front wheel drive.

I could use two of the smaller powerchair motors on there, one on each wheel, perhaps.

I had previously briefly considered two powerchair motors driving the wheels directly from their axles, but that would not have allowed pedalling if the motor system failed or I ran out of power. The above linked design would allow that, as I could put a dog-clutch (or freewheel) in one of the transfer pulleys, which could use either belt or chain.

Also, the motors directly driving the wheels would not go very fast unless I overvolted to perhaps 60-72V, given the wheel size and original motor/gearbox speed. I'd rather not have to carry *that* many batteries. At original voltage, they're meant to go around 4MPH with 10" wheels. So the 20" wheels I want to use on the front would still be pretty slow, less than half the max allowable speed on ebikes. I'd like to be *able* to go 20MPH, even if I don't do it much.


Of course, I found this idea via the V Is For Voltage forum *after* I started sketching up some ideas for the suspension and frame, and setting my brain on the search for a workable geometry with stuff I already have laying around. ;)

So now I am going to see if I can reprogram the "offline mental search" to figure out how to make these modules instead, as they would simplify the frame and steering setups. Plus, I would have front wheel drive with electric, and could leave the rear wheel drive as pedal-only, reducing the stress on that wheel, "spreading the load" as it were. Simplifies the chainline and drivetrain integration, too, and keeps all three drivetrains independent, for multiple redundancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alternate suggestions or improvements to anything that's been posted is very welcome, and extreme detail is preferred to brevity.

Keep in mind that unless you leave an email address in your comment, I haven't any way to reply to you except to reply to your comment here. That means if you want a reply, you'll have to come back to *this* blog entry and it's comments to see my reply to you, unless you leave some method of contact within your comment.