Does not really exist. :-)
In the late afternoon, I was about to make a run to the grocery store, then realized that a tiny oversight in the new cargo pod design prevented me from using the existing trailer: There's no place to attach the "hitch", which was simply a bar-stem. Oops. :-(
I pondered for a moment, and thought of a bunch of solutions, but none I could make before it would get seriously dark and much colder (been nippy all day, and breezy to windy, making it much worse). So I decided I'd just go for what I absolutely had to have for tonite and tomorrow, in case I don't finish the new trailer (not really started yet, except design) and/or don't get a hitchmount made for the old one.
As you can see below, I didn't stick with the plan:
Besides the five 12-packs of soda you can see (each of which is around 10.5 pounds), there's also four 5-pound-ish flats of chicken breast and other assorted heavy-ish things packed in the cargo pod proper. I'd guess total about 80 pounds of groceries. Nowhere near what I carry on the trailer. I didn't intend to get this much, but they had a very big sale on the stuff, and I didn't want to miss the sale in case I didn't get back up there in the next two days (possible), and as cold as it was, getting darker and colder, I wasn't going to go back for a second trip tonite if I could possibly help it.
That's a lot of weight, but not only did it not have a problem with it, it balanced fairly well! The only part I had any problems with at all were mount/dismount and initial start, since due to the left-biased weight distribution, I could not just stand over the frame and push down with one pedal to start moving, I had to sit in the seat so I could use it for leverage to let my body balance the bike, and start in the lowest gear and quickly upshift from there. Would've been really handy to have the motor about then. ;-)
I took the pics right after getting home, before unloading it.
The cargo pod is in a mostly-finished state in the pics, with hinges and lock installed. It's only a cheap lock off the old electric scooter carcass, and will be replaced with two much better locks (and probably a different lid) and piano hinges, as soon as I have time and find the keys to the locks. There'll be more pics posted later of the pods metamorphosis into the current state, once I make the right-side unit. I didn't take pics of the left side one in-progress mostly because I forgot until too far into it to matter much, but also because I was changing things as I built it, thinking suddenly of better ways to do various things even as I was marking or drilling a hole for the previous way(s).
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Does not really exist. :-)