Search all of my sites with Google

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Present Day Pictures, Battery Leaps Off

September has arrived, but it's still as hot as ever. So in lieu of the outdoor lathe work I had planned, I only got some pictures taken of the bike as a whole, in better lighting, at the end of the driveway.

I also tried to do a startup torque video, to show it's acceleration using the largest front chainring and the largest rear chainring, which I really ought to note down all the ratios for. It's a standard 7-ring rear cluster, starting at 28T, 26T, 24T, 21T, 18T, 16T, 14T. Front cluster is 42T, 32T, 24T, if I remember right. Might be 34T on the middle one.

So...I was running with main bike drivetrain ratio of 1.5:1, I guess. That's where I start out at for the average startup from a complete stop, then shift up all the way to the 16T on the rear cluster. I can't get to the 14T at the moment, as I need to take the cargo pod off the left side and adjust it again (can't quite get to the limit screws with the pod on there).

However, I had a massive failure of battery strap as the rear wheel sort of leaped off the end of the driveway over the little "gutter" and down onto the road (you can hear the cargo pods echo as it hits), which snapped all the heavy zip ties I had holding the rightside battery down. It yanked itself loose from the Anderson connector (yay, because otherwise it'd've ripped wiring up, probably!) and thunked on the road. No real damage to the battery, but it is annoying.
video
Still, it could have happened hitting a pothole on the road, so after I type up this post I'll be connecting all the short 2", 3" and 4" length radiator hose clamps I have together and securing the battery down with that, just like the pair I used on the left side do pretty well. Those hose clamps are yet another item I keep looking for in junkpiles but find very few of, especially the larger sizes.

The drivetrain, as of 3.1.


Just the bike, left side:


Front view:


Right side:


Rear view:

1 comment:

  1. I like the pictures!

    i use rebar tie wire to hold my ebike items together. It can be doubled, tripled, or quadrupled in stranding for more strength. When twisting the ends, maximum strength results when the vise grips are wiggled slightly. There is a certain feel that confirms maximum strength. A final touch is to carefully bend the sharp ends over to prevent pricking.

    ReplyDelete

Alternate suggestions or improvements to anything that's been posted is very welcome, and extreme detail is preferred to brevity.

Keep in mind that unless you leave an email address in your comment, I haven't any way to reply to you except to reply to your comment here. That means if you want a reply, you'll have to come back to *this* blog entry and it's comments to see my reply to you, unless you leave some method of contact within your comment.