Search all of my sites with Google

Friday, September 7, 2007

Motor update 1

The power-window motor I described in a previous post seems to function well enough after it's clean up. I took the worn-out nylon/whatever gear/cam that's driven by the motor's worm gear, and the cam/gear exposed to the outside of the gearbox case that's driven by the first gear/cam, and thoroughly cleaned all the graphite lubricants off of them, saving all that I could of that for later reapplication, and JBWelded them together, letting that cure overnight. Once I reassembled it, I now have a reduction-gear assembly that gives me enough torque to use to drive the pedal-sprockets, which will drive the chain, which will drive the wheel-sprockets that are connected to the rear wheel, and thus move the bike along the ground.

Sometime today, I have to setup the stall-current experiment to find out what current draw this motor will have at maximum, so I'll know what I must definitely limit the current draw to, to help prevent motor burnout. Unfortunately, there are ZERO specs available for this motor locatable online via any p/n that's on it. Not that I expected to find any, but it would have made things a tad bit easier. I found hundreds of places to buy new motors for the car it came from, but nothing about any specs for any of those, either, to try to use for comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alternate suggestions or improvements to anything that's been posted is very welcome, and extreme detail is preferred to brevity.

Keep in mind that unless you leave an email address in your comment, I haven't any way to reply to you except to reply to your comment here. That means if you want a reply, you'll have to come back to *this* blog entry and it's comments to see my reply to you, unless you leave some method of contact within your comment.